Friday, March 03, 2006

Food & Drink

Where to begin… Similarly to Vancouver, Cape Town is comprised of a large variety of ethnic backgrounds so there is food from any place or culture readily available. On campus there are the amazing chicken burgers, grilled sandwiches, custom pitas, Chinese food, Jewish cafeteria, boerewors, and still more that I haven’t discovered yet. The majority of these places offer a decent lunch and drink for much less than 20 rand. Coke has a strangle hold on the market here (no explanation yet as to how and why) so every place only offers Coke products and the diet pop phase has not really moved through South Africa yet (only Coke Light). Fortunately there are plenty of interesting fruit juices readily available. Obs is the place to be for interesting, cheap restaurants. Top of the list is Mai Thai II just down the road which serves the best Thai food I have ever eaten for unbelievable prices. Three people can have full, delicious, varied curries and rice with a bottle of wine (a necessity for any meal) for the ridiculously low price of 150 rand: that’s ten bucks each! Around the corner is Diva, serving up a very fine, thin crust pizza at a decent price. Be aware that the pizza here is a little different from home, no deep dish to speak of. Further down is Mimi’s where I have enjoyed a fine breakfast (although I do miss the bacon, eggs and hash browns at home) and even better mango milkshakes. Touch Of Madness on the other side of the block serves anything from grilled tuna salads to gemsbok loin and ostrich steak of a quality that makes me feel I am at a high class restaurant but at a price that the student budget loves. Finally, if there is nothing to be found for restaurants I also have an amazing room-mate that frequently whips up, “just leftovers, really.”

1 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are making me hungry! I'm glad to here that you're spoiling yourself and eating out a lot; the price is right and the food sounds amazing. Is sushi a popular thing down there?
Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home